Sunday, October 9, 2011

Displays week 4


At work as you walk up to the registers we have a seasonal display set up. The display changes every month or two depending on the time of the year. And I have noticed that when people are in line or when it changes that some people check it out. But have only seen a few times that people have taken an item off the display to purchase or asked where it was in the store. So my question is are the displays really necessary? I will agree that they make the store look nicer but as far a product placement goes and getting people to buy something they didn't come in for they don't really do anything. This display is one that we set up and as employees do on our own. And with more people involved there is always a disagreement on what should be put on the display. I think that we should either use the space to go after the college crowd or the people that pay more for the premium bottles. If you were in charge of setting up the display whom would you market to?

2 comments:

  1. I personally agree with you I would use that space to focus on maybe a younger generation and do this with more of a marketing idea. I would have business cards made up (after establishing a social media channel for the store) for the stores social media sites their website and their contact information. Another Idea for the card would be to make it actually use for for people. Make it have something on it that will make the people take it and keep it in their wallet such as for your market put a list of mixed drinks and how to make them on the back of the card of randomize several drinks only listing one per card so that they can collect them and keep them or hand them out to friends at parties. This would take it and get your name and information out there, and not only that but the drink info on it will make it useful at parties and someone might go hey where'd you get this and there is your stores in..... JUST A THOUGHT AND A LONG ONE AT THAT LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with you as well. I work at Academy and we have companies like Nike and Under Armor that pay more for there stuff to be on display from aisles. I don't think it make that big of a different to people what is on display. I can say the only display I think really works is putting things like candy, gum, and chips by the registers. I for one am a sucker for that and always ended up buying pop and candy when I not even hungry or thirst just because it's right there.
    I think for displays to have an effect at you have to know who is coming into your store and what your most popular items are. Like at your liquor store if it is mostly college students coming in there is no reason to have expense wines on display. Overall I do agree with you that to me displays don't work good enough to spend on the time and money on them.

    ReplyDelete